The project’s second issue will be guest-edited by Yasmin Belkhyr, a contributor to the debut issue, and Kayo Chingonyi.
Here are the guidelines for submission.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES For 20.35: An Anthology Of Contemporary Poetry
Please read the following guidelines closely. Submissions that do not follow any of the instructions will not be considered for inclusion in the anthology. This issue of the anthology is guest-edited by Yasmin Belkhyr and Kayo Chingonyi.
– The anthology is for African poets who are between the ages of 20, or who would be 20 by the time of publication, and 35.
– Contributors published in the previous issue are NOT eligible for this issue, but may send in works in subsequent editions.
– Submissions can cut across various themes and each contributor may send three poems ONLY. Please send us your best poems, properly edited.
– The anthology is ONLY for African poets. We define an African poet as someone born in Africa, or whose parents (at least one) are African, or someone who currently lives in Africa and has done so for at least 10 years.
– Poets who have had a full length book or a chapbook or pamphlet published in electronic or print format can submit. Poets who have not been published in any form or on any literary forum/outlet, and fall into the acceptable age bracket, are encouraged to submit as well.
– Only poems written in English will be accepted. Works translated into English from any African languages may be submitted, but they must be accompanied by the originals.
– There is no stipulation as to the content of submitted poems but no poem should exceed 40 lines in length.
– Identifying information, including names of poets, addresses, phone numbers, publication histories, should NOT be included in the manuscript or in the body of the email. Submit through your personal email address and include same on the last page of your manuscript. Submissions will be judged solely on merit.
– We accept simultaneous submissions, but please notify us immediately if any of your poems is accepted elsewhere.
– All entries must be submitted in a SINGLE WORD DOCUMENT, typed in TIMES NEW ROMAN, font 12, single spaced, and sent via email only to the 20.35 Africa Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– The email subject should read “20.35 AFRICA SUBMISSION.”
– Submissions must be written in black ink. No colours.
– Each poem must have a title.
– Poems must be the original work of the contributor.
– Deadline for submissions is midnight (UTC+01:00) of 9 April 2019.
– We hope to respond to every submission by the end of June. However, there may be a delay in response time pending the editors’ final decision.
– Accepted contributors must be available at all times, for necessary editing of their works and correspondence that may follow.