The Africa Book Club Short Story Competition features short stories drawn from contributors across the African continent. It accepts unpublished fiction and creative non-fiction submissions, not exceeding 3,500 words, and whose setting and context are primarily set in Africa, or written by African authors.
Africa Book Club Short Story Competition welcomes entries that celebrate Africa’s diversity and rich story telling traditions – anything from fiction and non-fiction stories that reflect life on the continent to childhood memoirs and travel stories.
Winners will receive a cash prize, as follows: –
- 1st Prize – $250
- 2nd Prize – $150
- 3rd Prize – $100
- Other accepted entries, which will be included in Africa Book Club Short Story Competition annual anthology – $25 per entry
In addition, the top 30 stories from all submissions received in the submission period (January 1 – June 30) will be considered for our annual short story anthology, to be published in the fall. The winning stories will also be featured on the Africa Book Club website under a special “Short Reads” section.
- Submissions will be received throughout the year and can be made at any time through our online submission page – Click Here to Submit Your Entry.
- Entries must not exceed 3,500 words (suggested minimum length is 1,000 words).
- Entries must be written in English.
- There are no theme or style restrictions. We are interested in works of fiction and creative non-fiction. All genres will be considered. What we are looking for are good stories that our readers will enjoy.
- Writers can enter as many stories as they like. However, each entry can only have one story.
- Submitted stories must not have been published previously in any form. If you enter your story in another competition and you win, please notify us and withdraw your submission.
- Copyright remains with Africa Book Club. Entrants are deemed to grant us first publication rights and exclusive worldwide license over each entry submitted for one year after publication, and for publicity purposes thereafter. Selected pieces may appear in electronic format on the Africa Book Club site, other electronic forms, and in print. Entrants will be notified electronically upon receipt of their submissions.
- We reserve the right to cancel this competition, and not to publish our annual anthology, where circumstances are beyond our control, of if we determine that the quantity and quality of submissions do meet the required parameters for publication.
- By submitting an entry, you agree to be bound by the above rules.
For enquiries send an email to: email@example.com.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS